Need to modify src/epaths.in for custom prefix? (Was: Cleaner way to not

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: Need to modify src/epaths.in for custom prefix? (Was: Cleaner way to not build the ctags..)
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 11:00:11 -0500

Hi all,

As I was reviewing my emacs build script, I realized I needed to address this another nugget I have in there for a while:

    sed -i 's|/usr/local|${MY_EMACS_INSTALL_DIR}|g' src/epaths.in

Here ${MY_EMACS_INSTALL_DIR} is the path I set as prefix to the configure command.

Here is my configure command:

./configure --prefix=${MY_EMACS_INSTALL_DIR} CPPFLAGS="-fgnu89-inline -I/home/kmodi/usr_local/6/include -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include" CFLAGS="-O2 -march=native" LDFLAGS="-L/home/kmodi/usr_local/6/lib -L/home/kmodi/usr_local/6/lib64"

I have to use this prefix as I am installing emacs in my $HOME and I don't have write access to /usr/local/.

I needed to add that sed command because something about the build did not work correctly by simply adding that prefix to the configure command... I also needed to update the hard coded paths in src/epaths.in. (Unfortunately I did not document the exact reason why this file had to be manually edited; but I know for sure that it definitely needed to be.)

So, I am trying to understand the exact reason why we need to manually update the src/epaths.in .. Or do we need to?

In addition, as plain "./configure" does not work for me, I also have this to call my custom configure command instead of plain ./configure in GNUmakefile. So I have this too in my build script:

    sed -i 's|./configure|${MY_EMACS_CONFIGURE}|g'  GNUmakefile

The value of ${MY_EMACS_CONFIGURE} is the above mentioned custom configure command with prefix and all.

The default ./configure caused Makefile build failure as it could not find the giflib automatically.

--
Kaushal Modi