Re: Why does the tutorial talk about C-n/C-p etc?

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: Why does the tutorial talk about C-n/C-p etc?
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 15:26:33 -0800

> The arrows keys work perfectly well in my experience. In addition, there is
> the mouse.

We should avoid thinking that the audience for a tutorial has our same biases.

Arrows and mouse are terribly slow if one is used to having their fingers on
the home row. That said, there are indeed people for whom an arrow-key-and-
mouse tutorial would be better suited.

A good tutorial is readable and helpful to all audiences, not just for those
whom we presume have the same predilections as ourselves.

anyone who suggests we do away with mentioning C-npfb because *they* don't use
those keys is making a mistake, in my opinion, by neglecting readers who would
benefit from learning about the n/p/f/b paradigm (which is pervasive
throughout Emacs, such as M-n, n in dired, C-M-n, C-c C-n, etc).