Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 17:51:08 -0800

On 03/10/2016 01:23 PM, Richard Stallman wrote:
Maintaining a ChangeLog file in the repository is one way to do this,
but if it has flaws in the case of merging, can we design another mechanism
for the job that solves the problems with merging?

Yes, one such approach (used by coreutils) was proposed a couple of days ago, in the patch archived here:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-03/msg00391.html

Eli dislikes the way this supports patching old commit messages, and has proposed to instead use 'git replace'; we'd still use the abovementioned patch, but would patch old commit messages in a different way. We haven't yet tested this suggestion.