Re: Why does the tutorial talk about C-n/C-p etc?

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Why does the tutorial talk about C-n/C-p etc?
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 16:57:09 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> It is a non-trivial decision where to draw the line about what is
> "common knowledge" and shouldn't be explained.  Once again, the "tax"
> is a single sentence, so what's the harm?
>
> In any case, I suggest to postpone any further arguments until someone
> actually submits patches to make the tutorial better.  The tutorial
> should be considered as a whole, not sentence by sentence.  It is
> currently written from a certain POV that guides most of the text in a
> consistent way.  You cannot change a sentence here and there without
> making the text inconsistent.  So a change like the one that I think
> is proposed will require quite a thorough rewrite, which makes
> arguments about individual sentences and phrases futile.

I am working on this. My tutorial is now 480 lines long, so it may need
some pruning. I have buffers and files to do. My plan is to finish off
with Emacs packages, but getting users to install a new package from
ELPA.

My thought is that, at first, this package will contain more tutorial
information. In the first instance, it will probably just say
"congratulations", but in later versions, it could take tutorials on
different topics. It would also enable upgrading the tutorial
out-of-sync with releases.

Phil