Re: Nextstep build uses iso-latin by default. WHY?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Nextstep build uses iso-latin by default. WHY?
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 22:49:09 +0200

> From: Angelo Graziosi <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 21:27:05 +0100
>
> Now (with no ~/.emacs.d nor other initialization files), "C-x C-f
> foo.txt" creates foo.txt with iso-latin-1. For ages it was similar to
> the behavior on GNU/Linux.

What is your locale, as known to Emacs when it starts?

> I don't understand why you adopted this change..

It was discussed here:

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-02/msg00000.html

Why do you think Emacs should use a UTF-8 locale in your case?

> How can I restore the previous behavior?

If you only want to have the files' default encoding be UTF-8, add
this to your ~/.emacs:

  (setq-default buffer-file-coding-system 'utf-8)

If you want to override your entire locale with UTF-8, do this:

  (set-locale-environment "utf-8")