Re: Problems with syntax-ppss: Was [... Apply `comment-depth' text prope

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Problems with syntax-ppss: Was [... Apply `comment-depth' text properties when calling `back_comment'.]
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 18:31:21 -0500

> .  Narrow the buffer so that point-min is at the indicated position,
> then try to get (forward-comment -1) from EOL working.

If the user narrows this way, he/she gets *some* behavior, because the
meaning of "narrowing" is vague.  It can sometimes mean "I want to focus
on this particular subpart of the buffer without forgetting that the
rest exists" and sometimes "I want to pretend the rest doesn't exist at
all", and The Right Thing to do will be different in those two cases.

So the fact that my patch changes this behavior from one to the other is
of no importance in general.  You can argue that both behaviors are The
Right Thing.

        Stefan