Re: Permission requested to merge branch comment-cache into master.

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Permission requested to merge branch comment-cache into master.
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2016 10:08:43 +0000

Good morning, Eli.

On Sat, Mar 12, 2016 at 09:32:19AM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2016 00:28:37 +0000
> > From: Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>
> > Cc: address@hidden

> > Could I merge branch comment-cache into master, please?

> Why master?  Why not emacs-25?

The change is a fairly radical new approach, and there could still be
bugs in the new code, or unforeseen problems.  But in principle, I have
nothing against merging it into emacs-25.

> The slow performance of CC mode is an annoying misfeature, IMO, which
> we should strive to fix in Emacs 25.1.

I honestly don't think this change is going to speed up CC Mode very
much at all.  A little bit, perhaps, but not very much.  For example, in
Martin's `foo' and `bar' (defuns which do `beginning/end-of-defun'
repeatedly) traversing xdisp.c, there was a saving of 6 - 8 seconds in
each direction, but the real time sink was checking for K&R
declarations in the backward direction.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).