Re: Permission requested to merge branch comment-cache into master.

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Permission requested to merge branch comment-cache into master.
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2016 11:50:21 +0000

Hello, Eli.

On Sat, Mar 12, 2016 at 01:14:34PM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2016 10:08:43 +0000
> > Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> > From: Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>

> > > The slow performance of CC mode is an annoying misfeature, IMO, which
> > > we should strive to fix in Emacs 25.1.

> > I honestly don't think this change is going to speed up CC Mode very
> > much at all.

> I don't understand: the original complaint for config.h was about an
> unbearably slow response to a simple editing command.  Are you saying
> that these changes will not speed up that use case?

Sorry, yes, in that particular case the change will speed it up
dramatically.  That case is (i) When there is a paren in column zero in
a comment; (ii) There is a lot of syntactic whitespace and no "normal"
code between that paren and the spot being edited.  I see this more as a
bug fix than a performance enhancement.

But for CC Mode in general, I don't see a dramatic speed up happening
because of this change.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).