Re: Permission requested to merge branch comment-cache into master.

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Permission requested to merge branch comment-cache into master.
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2016 15:23:45 +0200

On 03/12/2016 02:28 AM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

Could I merge branch comment-cache into master, please?

I'm not John, but I wish we didn't hurry so much to merge experimental branches into master. The curly quotes feature comes to mind, and how it ended up very hard to back out of.

An alternative approach using the syntax-ppss cache has been discussed
and tried.  For reasons currently being discussed in bug #22983:
(syntax-ppss returns wrong result) and the emacs-devel thread "Problems
with syntax-ppss: Was [... Apply `comment-depth' text properties when
calling `back_comment'.]", this approach cannot work.

This seems like a misrepresentation of the discussion in #22983. If anything, I'd expect the reverse conclusion: it's quite possible to make syntax-ppss stricter, and then base comments-cache on it.