Re: Why does the tutorial talk about C-n/C-p etc?

From: Evgeny Panasyuk
Subject: Re: Why does the tutorial talk about C-n/C-p etc?
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2016 00:05:01 +0300

12.03.2016 22:14, Chad Brown:

Interesting data, thank you!

   * Using the mouse for distant positional editing is often faster and
     rarely slower than using the keyboard. The theory I recall is that
     tying scrolling to analog physical movements enables people to use
     the spatial-reckoning hardware in our brains.

   * Interestingly, emacs has seen a recent flowering of new navigation
     modes that are largely based on searching rather than positioning
     (ace-jump, avy, swiper, etc).
   * Similarly, many users *feel* like moving their hand to the mouse
     for any positioning task is slower than using the keyboard, even
     if it is not (mostly for non-local positioning).

There are special "mouse" kinds which are built-in into keyboard.
For instance Trackpoint: https://microle.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/trackpoint.jpg - it is near home row, and actually feels fast and convenient for non-local positioning. I wonder what is faster - trackpoint or keyboard-based search techniques like ace-jump.

Subjectively ace-jump makes impression of two roundtrips - first is to recognize which character to search, and second - which one to select from alternatives.

--
Evgeny Panasyuk