Re: Why does the tutorial talk about C-n/C-p etc?

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Why does the tutorial talk about C-n/C-p etc?
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2016 23:30:27 +0000

Marcin Borkowski <address@hidden> writes:
> Not only does this sound cool, it also showcases what /can/ be done in
> Emacs.  I think that if the first part makes it clear that this is not
> any kind of hack compiled in to make this sort of tutorial possible, but
> a routine use of Emacs programmability, this might become an interesting
> selling point.

That is sort of the idea.

> And one of those branches should be (info "(eintr) Top"), or maybe its
> first chapter converted into an interactive tutorial.  This shouldn't be
> too hard to do (the text is written, after all, and written very well),
> and might draw a bunch of people into Elisp.  I can even imagine similar
> tutorials for other popular languages; they might show how to configure
> a basic python|C|whatever environment and how to use it.  For instance,
> REPL with python, compiling with C etc.
>
> Phil, would you want me to start preliminary work on such a "eintr
> tutorial branch"?

I think that would be nice. At the moment, it's worth nothing that I've
got stuff written in org-mode, and I haven't thought at all about how to
present this to the user -- in EWW (read only), in org, or org's text
output, and editable as at present?

Content seems more important than code.

Phil