Re: Permission requested to merge branch comment-cache into master.

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: Permission requested to merge branch comment-cache into master.
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2016 16:02:28 -0800

> This is not possible, and the suggestion that it is is mischievous.

I try to reserve my mischief for things are much more fun, I assure you. :)

> The two approaches are fundamentally different. They aim to do different
> things, and they do them in very different ways.

What I don't want to happen is that a disagreement between contributors
results in the maintenance of two separate solutions to similar problems, just
because of a difference in design and a lack of agreement.

Stefan had the prerogative to include his solution before, so I understand why
it's in emacs-25 now. But your concerns lead me to believe that his code
should be revisited. If `syntax-ppss' is not doing the job we need it to do --
to the extent that you have to implement new code to work around it -- that
indicate a potential problem.

I also want to make sure it's not just a documentation failure, or lack of
communication, before either ditching syntax-ppss, or introducing a new
mechanism to live alongside it.

Is it possible to summarize why syntax-ppss is not fulfilling your needs,
other than it being buggy? Because if that's the only issue, we can fix the
code.