Re: Visit New File menu item

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Visit New File menu item
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2016 18:03:51 +0200

> From: John Wiegley <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2016 20:00:05 -0800
>
>>> It's not a correction of a bug, it's a new feature. So I think it should go
>>> to master.
>>
>> How is that? I understood it to just be changing the text "Open New File" to
>> "New File", and related textual changes.
>
> Indeed, examining d457fd9dc782465e1547f74021390c9d5951d6fa, it does not
> qualify as a feature, but a minor correction.

It isn't a correction, because the original text was not an omission.
It was a deliberate decision, which took the "New File" alternative
(as well as a few others) into consideration.

It's okay to revisit that decision, but such changes should not be
done during a pretest, no matter how simple they look: you never know
what baggage they could bring with them, and pretest must not change
behavior, unless required to fix a bug.

Also, such changes should be discussed more thoroughly, waiting for
interested parties to chime in.  E.g., one problem with "New File" is
that we don't actually enforce the "new" part -- you can visit an
existing file via that menu item.  Not sure how important this nit is,
but OTOH that single word "Visit" is also hardly so very important
that we should rush making the change overnight.

Besides, there were also suggestions in this thread to change other
menu items.  If agreed, it makes sense to do all those changes
together, as part of revamping the menus; having only one of them on
the release branch makes much less sense.

In any case, such a change should be in NEWS.