Re: Permission requested to merge branch comment-cache into master.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Permission requested to merge branch comment-cache into master.
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2016 20:03:20 +0200

> Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2016 23:17:13 +0000
> From: Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>
>
> You mentioned in another post that you were concerned about the speed of
> CC Mode.  Well, I have prepared an emacs-25 build and a comment-cache
> build, strictly comparable, and timed Martin Rudalics's two functions
> `foo' and `bar' on xdisp.c.  `foo' repeatedly calls `end-of-defun',
> `bar' repeatedly calls `beginning-of-defun'.  Here are the timings:
>
>              emacs-25            comment-cache       increase in speed
> foo            2.590                 1.662                56%
> bar            2.981                 1.628                83%

My measurements (which I posted a few minutes ago) indicate that Emacs
25 is about twice slower than Emacs 23.3.  So the above means the
comment-cache branch brings the performance almost back to its Emacs
23 level.  Which is a Good Thing, I think.

> Where, then, do we go from here?  Just how important is CC Mode's lack
> of performance?

To me, it's very important, because I bump into the slow situations
way too much.