Re: Permission requested to merge branch comment-cache into master.

From: Clément Pit--Claudel
Subject: Re: Permission requested to merge branch comment-cache into master.
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2016 19:38:08 -0400

On 03/13/2016 06:52 PM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> They're not broken, not of themselves.  Would you agree that because
> syntax-ppss doesn't always return the defined value according to its
> spec, we should move away from using it?

Hi Alan,

Before I read this thread, I never really paid attention to the fact that
syntax-ppss needed widening; I would guess (but of course I can't be sure) that
many did the same thing. In fact, I've only ever used syntax-ppss to decide
whether I was in a comment, or in a string, and possibly where it sarted, so if
syntax-ppss was changed my code would benefit.
On the other hand, if a better behaved alternative is introduced, my code will
have to be manually updated; thus I would very much like it if syntax-ppss was
changed :)

Just offering an opinion of course. Thanks for your efforts on this!
Clément.