Re: [Emacs-diffs] comment-cache 223d16f 2/3: Apply `comment-depth' text

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] comment-cache 223d16f 2/3: Apply `comment-depth' text properties when calling `back_comment'.
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2016 19:52:27 +0200

On 03/14/2016 07:29 PM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

CC Mode doesn't use syntax-ppss.  It would be too much work to put it in,
particularly as that function's future is unclear.

Could you please avoid FUD like that?

IIRC, Stefan posted a patch, which was like 10 lines long.

Sorry, patch for what?  I've lost the context.

That one:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-03/msg00593.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-03/msg00619.html

Any other grunt work I can assist with?

Could you please try it already, so we can move on to discussing the
actual performance problems of syntax-ppss, instead of theoretical ones?

It would be a lot of work.  Perhaps you might like to undertake it.

Applying a patch and doing the measurements is a lot of work?

The approach X is out of the question, because my approach Y is usually
N times faster!

Why is it out of the question? Can I say "premature optimization"?

You could, but it would sound a bit silly.

Considering the kind of arguments you provide, it's looking less and less silly with each message.

(parse-partial-sexp 1 (point)) on line 1661 takes ~0.002s here.

(parse-partial-sexp 1 (point-max)) takes just a little above that.

How do these timings translate into whole seconds of waiting after
pressing '/'?

They don't.  It was CC Mode's indentation engine's scanning, not the raw
parse-partial-sexp scanning.

I guess we found the problem, then. And the cache's performance is unlikely to change much.