Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 26b56dc: Fix some single quotes in documentat

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 26b56dc: Fix some single quotes in documentation
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2016 12:14:04 -0700

On 03/14/2016 11:45 AM, John Wiegley wrote:
It would be my preference to use `these quotes' in etc/NEWS, and any other
text-based internal documentation,

etc/NEWS is not internal documentation, as it gets put on the screen when one types C-h n. Grave quoting `like this' should not appear in text meant for users to see.

The "eval: (progn (require 'electric) (electric-quote-local-mode t))" patch would let you continue to type with grave quoting, as it would automatically curve the quotes as you type them. As Eli mentioned, though, enough people view etc/NEWS in non-UTF-8-aware environments that for this particular file it sounds like we should go back to straight ASCII for it. Straight quoting 'like this' is the simplest way out, which is why I did it that way originally.