Re: emacs-25 b6b47AF: Properly encode/decode base64Binary data in SOAP

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: emacs-25 b6b47AF: Properly encode/decode base64Binary data in SOAP
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2016 09:08:36 +0100

Thomas Fitzsimmons <address@hidden> writes:

> With the soap-client patch reverted, this debbugs.el patch fixes the
> above test case, producing a correct multibyte string for originator.

Thanks. I've committed it in your name.

> This is just one example, obviously.  The new function should be applied
> to all values returned by the Debbugs server that may contain multibyte
> UTF-8 characters.  I'll leave this part to Michael.

Done. The other affected attributes are "subject", "owner" and
"summary"; I've added them.

> Also, there's still something not quite right about async, for strings
> that don't contain extended characters:
>
> (multibyte-string-p (cdr (assq 'severity (car (async-get (async-start
>             `(lambda ()
>                (load ,(locate-library "debbugs"))
>                (debbugs-get-status 22285))))))))
> => nil
>
> (multibyte-string-p (cdr (assq 'severity (car (debbugs-get-status 22285)))))
> => t
>
> but this looks like a side effect of async.

Hmm, don't know. I would like to get rid of async. If
`soap-invoke-async' exists (soap-client >= 3.0), that function is
preferred over `async-start'/`async-get'.

> I'll wait to revert the soap-client patch on master and emacs-25 until
> Debbugs has a new release to fix this, to avoid temporarily re-breaking
> Debbugs.  (However, I'd really like to get this done before Emacs 25.1
> so that it doesn't go out with an incompatible soap-client API.)

I've increased debbugs' version to 0.9.1, shall be released soon by the
elpa release script.

> Thomas

Best regards, Michael.