Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 26b56dc: Fix some single quotes in documentat

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 26b56dc: Fix some single quotes in documentation
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2016 16:37:33 -0700

On 03/16/2016 02:26 PM, Drew Adams wrote:
>They were used, and they weren't typos.
Show us some that were not typos, please.

You want more examples? OK, here are a few in etc/NEWS.24:

   1919:**** Improved support for 'extern "C"' declarations in C/C++.
1922:such as '__nonnull' and '__asm'. Add '__cplusplus' macro when parsing C++.
   1931:**** Support for the Python 'WITH' and 'AT' keywords.

and in etc/NEWS before this week's changes:

90:** The configure option '--with-gameuser' now allows you to specify a 91:group instead of a user if its argument is prefixed by ':' (a colon).
     94:be installed setgid.  The option now defaults to the 'games' group.

There are more where these came from. These are not typos; they're the straight quoting style. Admittedly they are a minority of NEWS lines, but my impression is that the style's prevalence was growing in more-recent NEWS entries, even before this week's changes. And that's understandable, as the GNU coding standards in this area were changed relatively recently (compared to the entire Emacs timeline, that is).

You wouldn't happen to know who started down
that road, would you?

Markus Kuhn's web page on the topic <https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ucs/quotes.html> says that ISO 8859-1 specified the current behavior where ` and ' are not symmetric; before that, ASCII was ambiguous and many displays used symmetric quotes. ISO 8859-1 was derived from ECMA-94, which was developed sometime in the early 1980s by the ANSI X3L2 Technical Committee on Codes and Character Sets. So it appears that ANSI/X3L2 bears at least some of the responsibility for the road we're traveling on.

Personally I prefer symmetric quotes, and wish that ANSI/X3L2 had chosen otherwise. But we can't reasonably expect to change how Unicode works in this area.