Re: Tests, Emacs-25 and Conditional Features

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Tests, Emacs-25 and Conditional Features
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2016 10:14:44 +0000

> address@hidden (Phillip Lord) writes:
>
>> Second, should tests assume that all the conditional features (gnutls,
>> libxml) are available? If the answer is no, then how can we test that
>> conditional features are present when they should be; if the answer is
>> yes, then do we want tests that will fail some of the time.
>
> In your tests, you could check the presence of a feature, and skip if it
> isn't present. Like this:
>
> (skip-unless (gnutls-available-p))
> (skip-unless (functionp 'libxml-parse-xml-region))

Yeah, thought about that. But then the test is skipped if
gnutls-available-p returns nil. What happens if I believe that I have
configured and build Emacs to include gnutls, but, for some reason it
isn't. The test will be skipped when it should succeed.

The same is true for all the other conditional features.

I wonder if we need a "conditional feature" test selector.

Phil