Re: Advicing select-windows, shr rendering, and per-buffer-theme package

From: raman
Subject: Re: Advicing select-windows, shr rendering, and per-buffer-theme package
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2016 09:28:47 -0700

Hi Stefan,

Yes, the idle-timer solution worked surprisingly well which at least to
me was counter-intuitive --- guess I dont understand Emacs' internals
well enough. So what is it that led folk like yourself and John to
intuitively suggest idle timers for this case?

Incidentally the documentation for
buffer-list-update-hook is fairly  misleading. I originally tried using
that hook and saw it firing way too often; then adviced select-window
and observed that that fired almost as often which was still too often.

Places where the afore-mentioned hook fires where you wouldn't expect it
to bsed on the doc-string:

A. While transitioning through the minibuffer

B. When you have completions come and go as you interact with the
minibuffer

C. shr/eww as the earlier poster pointed out

D. and many more cases that will fit this margin.