Re: Advicing select-windows, shr rendering, and per-buffer-theme package

From: Iñigo Serna
Subject: Re: Advicing select-windows, shr rendering, and per-buffer-theme package
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2016 18:04:24 +0100

Hi,

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> Indeed, `current-buffer' and `selected-window' don't correspond really
> to the user's perception, because they can be changed temporarily
> without the user even noticing (and it's not just a theoretical
> possibility but is something that happens often enough).

I noticed this when I started writing this package and was investigating
the best way to achieve it, experimenting with different alternatives
(hooks, advice, etc).

raman <address@hidden> writes:

> See thread I had on this list re  hooking sound themes based on current
> mode -- I ran into this issue as well. As far as I know, it's more than
> just shr/eww that triggers this: if you look, select-window gets called
> way more often than you'd expect.
>
> After suggestions from folks like John, I ended up  implementing my
> solution via an idle timer, you can see the relevant code here:
> https://github.com/tvraman/emacspeak/blob/master/lisp/soundscape.el#L191

The ideas Clément provided where enough to solve the problems I
have. Not perfect but good enough for my case.

Anyway, I'll search for that thread you mention and read it to look for
better ideas.

Thanks for the suggestions,
Iñigo Serna