Re: Emacs benchmarking suite

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: Emacs benchmarking suite
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2016 16:32:58 -0700

> On the topic, Sacha interviewed Johnw recently in which he mentioned the
> need of having a benchmarking/profiling system for emacs. He says the
> performance has been decreasing over time.

Hi Dhavan!

I should clarify: John has the perception that it has been decreasing, but
this may not at all be the case. Hence the need for measurement. :)

> Share your thoughts on this, give me guidelines and help would be much
> appreciated!

Investing some time in learning a bit of Lisp is a good idea; even better will
be to find a buddy/collaborator who can help you to architect a benchmarking
framework, ideally based on work that has already been done for this sort of
thing in other language.

We want to be able to measure resource usage of Lisp code, to compare this
usage against previous runs (say, build to build), and a way of charting the
progression over time. This way, a dev who builds Emacs frequently can watch
for trends over time.