Re: Upcoming seq.el version problem with the Emacs release

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Upcoming seq.el version problem with the Emacs release
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 09:33:59 -0400

> The problem is that seq.el (in Emacs) uses `pcase-defmacro', which does
> not exist in Emacs 24.5.  When byte-compiling the file, we get warnings
> as the byte compiler will think that `pcase-defmacro' is a function.

Is that really the only problem?

I thought the main problem was that GNU ELPA's seq.el can't use
cl-defgeneric since GNU-ELPA's cl-generic can only dispatch on
EIEIO types.

As for preventing byte-compilation, yes indeed you can and I've done
that a few times recently.  See for example dts--using-macro in the
dts-mode package (in GNU ELPA).
See also TeX--if-macro-fboundp in auctex's tex.el.

        Stefan