RE: [Emacs-diffs] widen-limits c331b66: Implement buffer-widen-limits fu

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [Emacs-diffs] widen-limits c331b66: Implement buffer-widen-limits functionality
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 12:56:22 -0700 (PDT)

> >>  DEFUN ("widen", Fwiden, Swiden, 0, 0, "",
> >>         doc: /* Remove restrictions (narrowing) from current buffer.
> >> -This allows the buffer's full text to be seen and edited.  */)
> >> +This allows the buffer's full text to be seen and edited.
> >> +If `buffer-widen-limits` is non-nil, widen only to those limits.  */)

Why do you need this?  Why don't you just _narrow_ to those limits,
instead of making `widen' do it?

Why does "widening" need a separate set of limits?  That's what we have
narrowing for.  Any restriction of the buffer is a narrowing (which
concept is defined relative to the full buffer), regardless of whether
the previous state was a narrower narrowing (restriction).

Cf. the first line of that doc string, which seems to be contradicted
by the possibility that `widen' can put you in a different restriction.