Re: Missing changes in merges from emacs-25 to master

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: Missing changes in merges from emacs-25 to master
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 23:57:57 +0100

Paul Eggert writes:
> The whole gitmerge.el business is still odd, though. What's up with
> merge commits like f95bbe5a67e03fe6d05cbfb4d0c9151a754d6ccd whose
> commit message is merely "-"?

It's always good to look at the merge before pushing. Anyway, this is
because of de8837599112:

      ;; FIXME: We add "-m-" because the default commit message
      ;; apparently tickles our commit hook:
      ;;    Line longer than 78 characters in commit message
      ;;    Line longer than 78 characters in commit message
      ;;    Line longer than 78 characters in commit message
      ;;    Commit aborted; please see the file CONTRIBUTE

I don't understand this. It only applies to resumed merges, whereas this
problem should happen with regular merges as well. And why not simply
fix this in `gitmerge-commit-message' through truncation, instead of
using a '-' as commit message?

-David