Re: Syntax tables for multiple modes [was: bug#22983: syntax-ppss return

From: Vitalie Spinu
Subject: Re: Syntax tables for multiple modes [was: bug#22983: syntax-ppss returns wrong result.]
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2016 13:39:45 +0100

>> On Wed, Mar 23 2016 07:41, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> In theory, SMIE could try to create the kind of context you're thinking of,
> but that would amount to a complete rewrite (and it would likely be very
> difficult if not impossible to make it work with existing
> smie-rules-functions, so it'd break backward compatibility).

You are the best to judge what is possible or not. I had in mind that each mode
will build such a context, but tackling it at SMIE level seems like a much
better start. Will be back when I have a better understanding of it.

SMIE is relatively new; 7 modes in emacs and 5 in ELPA are already using it, but
it probably can be still molded here and there.

  Vitalie