Re: Syntax tables for multiple modes [was: bug#22983: syntax-ppss return

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Syntax tables for multiple modes [was: bug#22983: syntax-ppss returns wrong result.]
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2016 09:18:13 -0400

>> Since it's not on its own line, I don't see why it would be an issue
>> for indentation.
> It's a problem if you narrow to current span and allow inner mode to indent
> first line.

I guess it's an issue if the buffer is "always narrowed", in which case
the "first" line might get indented accidentally, indeed.
But otherwise, there's no reason for the generic mode to go through the
trouble of "narrow + indent" this partial line.

> Without narrowing it's not clear what is the contract that inner mode should
> respect to handle previous chunk locations.

For prog-indent-context we provide (START . END), as well
as PREVIOUS-CHUNKS, where the contract is that the major mode's
indentation code should only look at those parts of the buffer.
It's up to the mode to decide whether it does that via narrowing, or
some other way.

        Stefan