Re: Syntax tables for multiple modes [was: bug#22983: syntax-ppss return

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Syntax tables for multiple modes [was: bug#22983: syntax-ppss returns wrong result.]
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2016 09:23:34 -0400

> SMIE is relatively new; 7 modes in emacs and 5 in ELPA are already
> using it, but it probably can be still molded here and there.

Sure.  I'm just pointing out that it's a difficult modification to make,
at least for some indentation codes (and probably for many of them).

Maybe it's OK to design a multi-mode system which requires every major
mode that wants to play with it well (e.g. well enough to get the kind
of behavior we want for ERB) to basically rewrite its indentation code.

But this won't fly unless we also make it possible to use major modes
which haven't been rewritten in that way.

        Stefan