Re: ChangeLog API

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: ChangeLog API
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2016 11:34:05 -0700

> I just updated 60 elpa packages in my emacs setup and I have no idea what
> changed and what happened to my environment now. I'd like to ask a dev
> community, do we need a some kind of unified changelog api for emacs, so
> each package would provide changes information for each new version via this
> api. I see this feature as ability to read all the changes on all the
> packages after I do such a big upgrade.

Even if we had such an API, enforcing it as a requirement for a package's
inclusion in GNU ELPA -- otherwise, most packages would probably ignore it --
would be rather heavy-weight. Further, the result would likely be a large
volume of information for you to ingest. I don't see the cost/benefit ratio
adding up for an API like this.