RE: pre-test windows binaries

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: pre-test windows binaries
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2016 16:05:48 -0700 (PDT)

> > > Does Emacs not just do everything for you?
> >
> > No.  Neither Emacs nor other programs always automatically
> > unzip a file on the fly.  Nor should they, necessarily.
>
> Uh ? Emacs does this for quite a time. At least Emacs-25.

You cannot assume that everything in Emacs does so.
And certainly other programs run from Emacs, including such
simple things as `grep', depending on the platform, do not
necessarily do that.

What I mean is that by default, Emacs is able to gunzip the .el or .info files you visit on the fly. Thanks to :

  Does Emacs directly use zlib?                           yes

I'm not sure where it is hooked, but certainly .el and .info files are found by default

when they are compressed under .el.gz or .info.gz

BTW: I'm using Emacs only under Windows.

> And all .el files are gzipped when installed by default.

"Installed"?  What does that mean for you?  Perhaps you are
assuming that what it means for you is what it means for
everyone?

It means what you get when you do 'make install' when compiling Emacs.

For me, on MS Windows, it means just downloading and
unpacking a zip archive that includes executables, source
files, etc.

What you download is an archive of the destination directory after doing

'make ; make install'

The Makefiles do compress .el and .info files by default.

You get lisp source files, but you don't get Emacs source (C) files this way.

I would be surprised that the zip archives of the pretest binaries be built differently from mines:

Fabrice

Sorry, I can't even make sense of your mail - can't distinguish your reply from what you are replying to.  Try plain text, please.