Re: A vision for multiple major modes [was: Re: [Emacs-diffs] widen-limi

From: Vitalie Spinu
Subject: Re: A vision for multiple major modes [was: Re: [Emacs-diffs] widen-limits c331b66:]
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2016 21:43:56 +0100

>> On Thu, Mar 24 2016 17:44, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> I doubt that very much.  syntax-ppss is just one of many ways of using
> parse-partial-sexp.

Most common one (or the only one) that might need across chunk parsing.  Other
uses might be behaving correctly within a narrowed span.

The only adjustment of parse-partial-sexp that might be necessary with respect
to hard narrowing is to start parsing from (max FROM hard-point-min). But that
remains to be seen with concrete use cases.

> But I'd love to see the code.  Has it been committed, and if so, into which
> branch?

I have never needed that with polymode, so I don't have an example (this might
change in the near future though). The implementation would flow as: parse one
span with syntax-ppss, then go to next span, install syntax-ppss-last at the
beggining of it and call syntax-ppss at the next desired point etc.

  Vitalie