Re: Should the default value of url-user-agent include a version number?

From: Clément Pit--Claudel
Subject: Re: Should the default value of url-user-agent include a version number? What about the specific case of package.el?
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2016 17:02:12 -0400

On 03/24/2016 04:42 PM, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> (Stefan, for example, your emails are tagged with "Gnus/5.13 (Gnus v5.13)
>>> Emacs/25.1.50 (gnu/linux)").  Has there been complaints about Gnus
>>> doing that?
>>
>> I never liked it, but admittedly, I never complained about it.
>
> Well, in emails you also have the From header (etc), so the added
> privacy of not having a User-Agent string is pretty slim.

Not that slim :) For example, your User-Agent string tells me that you're using
Emacs' master branch instead of emacs-25 ;)

> When talking to web servers, things are very different.

Indeed, and the spec suggests that we should include an Emacs version number
there. Plus, we already include a lot more information when asking people to
send bug reports; the same information, though of course with much less
details, would be useful to get a clearer picture of the user base of a package.

Cheers,
Clément.