Re: Should the default value of url-user-agent include a version number?

From: Sebastian Wiesner
Subject: Re: Should the default value of url-user-agent include a version number? What about the specific case of package.el?
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2016 22:08:11 +0100

Am 24.03.2016 um 21:36 schrieb Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>:

>>> I never liked it, but admittedly, I never complained about it.
>> May I ask why you do not like this behaviour? What stands against it?
>
> That's just a leak of private information.

I must admit that I find it hard to agree.  I do not see how the OS, or the
Emacs version, or
the combination of both could be used to identify you as a person.  But if the
can't, why
would you consider this information private?  And even if it could, doesn't it
pale beside
the information that is necessarily send to the archive (e.g. your IP, a
partial list of
the packages you're using, etc.)?

I think that our desire as package maintainers to learn how and where their
packages are
used is legitimate.  It helps us to direct our efforts and our time to those
enviroments
that matter and to make informed choices about what degree of backwards
compatibility we
should offer.  In the absence of any concrete risk, I tend to value our desire
higher
than the interest of users to keep data private that can only be used for
anonymous usage
statistics.

Now, I understand that I'm biased, and that your priorities may be
fundamentally different
from mine.  But I believe that the availability of some halfway solid
statistics would
improve our ability to make informed decisions about our packages.