Re: recent change to nsterm.m: four pixels where the Dock is hidden

From: Anders Lindgren
Subject: Re: recent change to nsterm.m: four pixels where the Dock is hidden
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2016 22:13:35 +0100

Hi!

The original change is difficult to read as it conflates the NSTRACE code (a lot) with the more meaningful change.

Unfortunately, I enhanced and used the trace system while rewriting the zoom system, so it would have been very hard to do separate commits.

What I find problematic is that you’re trying to micro-manage the position and size of the frame when the system provides high-level functions such as [NSScreen visibleFrame] that essentially tell you what is available.  The comment with that commit suggests that you’re going over the Dock (when it’s not hidden), and if that is indeed the case, that would be a mistake.

Oh, it's quite the opposite. When the dock is visible, Emacs respect [NSScreen visibleFrame]. (Before the last commit, it didn't -- which caused the dock to overlap the Emacs frame.)

However, when the dock is hidden, Emacs use the full height and width of the screen.

I would argue that one shouldn’t draw into a space the system considers unsafe.

I agree that you have a point there. I'm open to reverting this change (or adding a variable controlling it) -- if people feel strongly about this. Personally, it feels odd not to use the full screen, though. (Of course, a user would still be able create a frame covering the entire screen using `set-frame-size' et.c., or use a package like my `multicolumn'.)

Before I rewrote the zoom system, I looked around and checked how other applications worked. Many applications respect the four pixels reserved for the hidden dock, but far from all. One application that use a normal window, but still use the entire screen is Lightroom from Adobe, so I thought that we would be in good company.

Anyway, I really appreciate that you take time to review the OS X-related changes!

Sincerely,
    Anders

DR

[1] https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/WinPanel/Tasks/SizingPlacingWindows.html