Re: Missing changes in merges from emacs-25 to master

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Missing changes in merges from emacs-25 to master
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2016 07:18:41 +0000

>> We've been through this: "git rebase" will cause much worse trouble if
>> you have local merge-commits from feature branches.
>
> That's true, but that's a quite unusual thing to be doing.  ("Unusual"
> as in "most of the time most of the people who work on Emacs won't be
> doing that".)  In this instance, if he had done
> "git pull --rebase; git push" then no merge commit would have been
> pushed, and things would generally be less confusing.
>
> That rebase/push thing is what I do 99.9% of the time, and its the least
> noisy you can be when doing normal stuff.

If I remember correctly, I think I did the commit, but forgot to push,
till the next day. Once I got into the merge commit, my lack of git
expertise meant I couldn't work out how to get out of it again.

Mostly I develop with feature branches, so don't normally get this
problem. Ah well, live and learn.

Phil