RE: Thinking about changed buffers

From: Stephan Mueller
Subject: RE: Thinking about changed buffers
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2016 20:33:49 +0000

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

" For this, `SPC C-x u' at point-min should be sufficient to cause
" cperl-mode (and perl-mode as well) to flush all the existing
" highlighting data.

Thanks, I'll try that. Moving to point-min and back may make
that more awkward than revert-buffer.  Regardless, at the very
least, I should hide one or the other approach in a function and
bind it to a key.

Lars writes:

" Does this perhaps mean that the interactive `C-x C-s' command should
" always save the file, even if it's unchanged?  We've apparently all
" taken to doing pointless modifications because we haven't found an easy
" way to make Emacs re-save the file...

I follow your logic, but I'm not sure about this simplification; I
find that I hit `C-x C-s' all the time (whenever I enter my mental
idle loop, perhaps), and am pleased that it doesn't do anything
unnecessarily on those extremely numerous occasions.  Perhaps
a new,  distinct command really-save-buffer, bound to C-x C-S-s ?
 Or prefix save-buffer with four `C-u's (1 through 3 are already
taken)?

stephan();