Re: [Announce] The new Emacs homepage is online!

From: Christopher Allan Webber
Subject: Re: [Announce] The new Emacs homepage is online!
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2016 14:04:54 -0700

Nicolas Petton writes:

> Hi guys,
>
> I finally pushed the new homepage at https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/
>
> Quite some things have changed since the last time I talked about on
> this list, mostly due to ethical reasons (some logos are gone, some
> paragraphs have been added or modified, etc.).
>
> Please report any issue!
>
> Cheers,
> Nico

It looks really, really nice.

However I do still think that having emacs screenshots with
not-the-default theme would help dramatically in indicating how
beautiful Emacs can be.  I think the default theme, while "useful" in
its minimalism, doesn't convey that.

If I look at:

  http://tsyesika.se/guix-desktop.png
  http://dustycloud.org/tmp/emacs_hy_and_py.png
  http://dustycloud.org/tmp/emacs_screenshot.png
  http://dustycloud.org/tmp/emacs_wombat.png

it feels very clear to me and others I've shown what *potential* there
is for a beautiful emacs.  I don't get that impression by showing them
stock black-on-white emacs.

Even just inverting to white-on-black would look much better.

That said, the website redesign otherwise looks *incredible*!  Nice,
nice job.

 - Chris