Re: Results of StackOverflow developer survey

From: Tom
Subject: Re: Results of StackOverflow developer survey
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 14:47:33 +0000 (UTC)

Clément Pit--Claudel <clement.pit <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I wonder if these results reflect the popularity of certain
> languages; for example, Visual Studio does have features that
> Emacs lacks for .Net development (is it the same for
> Eclipse|IntelliJ/Java?

It would be interesting to see editor usage by language/platform.

Emacs is less suited for platforms where IDE support is important.
E.g. I'm dabbling in Android development and I use Android Studio
for that and I miss my usual emacs tools. But Android projects have
lots of small boring details which Android Studio takes care of, so
using emacs in this case would not be practical unless I want to
set up everything manually.

Emacs does not really have a future in these areas unless an out of
the box experience similar to Android Studio is created, which is
possible in theory, but someone has to do it. Android developers
who want to be productive quickly just download Android Studio and
others won't bother implementing things like this for emacs.

So emacs has more chance with languages/areas which are still
done with manually edited Makefiles and stuff. But in those cases
where your target is a huge platform which has to be preconfigured
in various ways, an integrated IDE provides a better development
experience.