Re: Understanding a recent commit in emacs-25 branch [ed19f2]

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Understanding a recent commit in emacs-25 branch [ed19f2]
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2016 14:44:25 +0300

On 04/03/2016 02:17 PM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

That massive commit happened because of git.  I attempted a 'git pull'
prior to making a (moderately small) commit.

It must have been after.

There was a one-letter
typo in one of my existing files (which I think had been committed).
Because of that, git failed to merge in all the stuff which it had just
fetched from savannah, instead prompting me to do a manual merge, which
I then did.

You can ask Git not to do that in the future by passing '--ff-only' to 'git pull'. But then you'll have to learn to rebase.

If I had been aware of what was happening, I might have
been able to adjust my copy of the repository somehow so as to avoid
that large merge.

If you run 'git log --graph' before every time you push and examine the output, you can be aware of everything what's happening, as well as undo the changes you don't like.