Cleaning up further compat code

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Cleaning up further compat code
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2016 18:29:13 +0200

I was looking at the erc code to fix a coding related bug, and I noticed
all the compat code (both for older versions of Emacs and XEmacs)...  It
might be nice to clean some of that stuff up to make maintenance easier.

But we should, of course, not do that with code that's maintained
outside of Emacs (where the maintainers want to keep the compat code
in).

So I'm wondering: Is there an overview somewhere of which .el files are
externally maintained?  That would be very handy...