Re: Thinking about changed buffers

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Thinking about changed buffers
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2016 01:44:38 +0200

Clément Pit--Claudel <address@hidden> writes:

>>> But one take away from this discussion is that Emacs needs a
>>> convenient command to save an unchanged buffer. I think I'll file a
>>> wishlist bug report for that.
>>
>> C-x C-w RET will do that, and I use it often for that effect.
>
> You need two `RET's, actually, don't you?

To be precise:

C-x C-w RET y RET

> And it shows a scary
> overwrite message. Also, it doesn't work with ido-mode, unfortunately.

For avoiding the scary overwrite confirmation you use the prefix
argument:

C-u C-x C-w RET

Those of us who use ido-mode:

C-u C-x C-w C-j

IMO, those sequences are above of the threshold of what can be
considered convenient (definitely not recommended if you are prone to
suffering from RSI) and I expressed my preference for a new shorcut.
However, others were quick at dismissing that possibility.