Re: -Wall

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: -Wall
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2016 20:58:36 +0200

Paul Eggert <address@hidden> writes:

> On 04/04/2016 11:22 AM, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:
>> There's a lot fewer warnings when compiling with -Wall in emacs/src now
>> than there used to be, but there should be none, I think.
>
> I'm getting no warnings when I build.

Hm...  I just added -Wall to the options line in the Makefile, and I get
a couple dozen.  But examining most of these more closely, they're the
result of this:

  RGB_PIXEL_COLOR corner_pixels[4], best IF_LINT (= 0);

So I guess the IF_LINT is triggered by...  something?

Anyway, if you're not seeing any warnings with the setup you're using,
shouldn't those options be the default compilation options?

> It's more the other way around: -Wall doesn't generate enough
> warnings. Please try './configure --enable-gcc-warnings'. This uses
> -Wall plus some other warning flags that are useful in practice. I
> regularly check that this builds cleanly for recent GCC on my platform
> (Fedora 23, GCC 5.3.1 20151207 (Red Hat 5.3.1-2)), and occasionally
> for recent Ubuntu, both using default configure-time options.
>
> If you'd like to take up the burden of porting --enable-gcc-warnings
> to other platforms feel free, though my suggestion is to not bother
> with older and/or rarely-used platforms as they have too many bugs in
> this area.

How about making that option the default on GNU/Linux systems?  There
would be less code for you to clean up after I've done C level changes
and forgotten to twiddle the options.  :-)