Re: master 0695108 2/2: Revert "Add `r'/`l' grep command history command

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: master 0695108 2/2: Revert "Add `r'/`l' grep command history commands"
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2016 22:32:39 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> Then the user will not rerun those commands.  Most commands are not
> destructive, though.  In addition, Grep mode is not the only one
> derived from Compilation.

The user will hit `r'/`l'.  I mean, I do.

>> > I also don't see a lot of mnemonic value in binding these commands to
>> > 'l' and 'r', and would suggest additional bindings which would be
>> > easier to remember even for those who don't browse URLs all day long.
>>
>> They are used in all the other special modes that offer traversing a
>> history of generated buffers: Info, *Help*, eww...
>
> I asked for _additional_ bindings.  I didn't say these should be
> removed.

I agree that they aren't very mnemonic bindings, but those are the
bindings that all modes that I know of that has a history uses.  I don't
even know what they stand for.  "Return"?  "L..."  uhm...

If you want to have an additional set of keystrokes available, I'm all
for that, but that's an orthogonal issue.  All these modes should have
the same keystrokes for these navigation commands.

> I'm not talking about memory it takes.  I'm talking about someone
> sitting and pressing 'l' 100 times, re-running all those commands in
> between.  I cannot imagine someone will want that.

I obviously chose 100 as a number that is larger than anybody could
reasonably want.  But I could well imagine 10.  Perhaps somebody would
want 20?  So we leave it at 100, and nobody will ever complain, and we
don't need to offer this as a customisation option.

There are no downsides to 100 that I can see.