Re: -Wall

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: -Wall
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2016 08:12:50 -0700

On 04/05/2016 12:39 AM, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:
warnings should be enabled by default (on Linux), but
they shouldn't be treated as errors.

It's good at times to not treat them as errors, so I installed the attached patch to add that capability more clearly, with a new configure-time option --enable-gcc-warnings=warn-only. The attached patch makes this new option the default if you have a Git checkout of Emacs and GCC 5.3 or later. This shouldn't affect Eli any time soon, since he uses an old compiler.

If this patch causes trouble by generating too many warnings on some platforms, we can dial it back by suppressing warnings on those platforms. But the latest GNU/Linux platforms running the latest GTK should be warnings-free.

As others have noted in this thread, -Wall generates too many warnings. The --enable-gcc-warnings option suppresses GCC warnings that are false alarms for Emacs. It also enables some warnings that -Wall does not, but which work well with Emacs.