Re: Considered Harmful 73d213: "Comint, term, and compile new set Emacs"

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Considered Harmful 73d213: "Comint, term, and compile new set Emacs"
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2016 13:42:35 -0700

On 04/05/2016 09:38 AM, Phillip Lord wrote:
I don't
have a workaround, I have limited the scope of the existing workaround
to Emacs-24.

Would something like the following be an adequate workaround? The idea is to have code that works with both Emacs 25 and Emacs 24 (and Emacs 23 etc., for that matter):

    def get_emacs_from_env():
        emacs = ENVB.get(b'CASK_EMACS')
        if emacs:
            return emacs
        emacs = ENVB.get(b'EMACS')
        if emacs != 't':
            return emacs
        return None

Is there not a different solution to the bash problem? Passing
--noediting as an option would work, I think, and it should work with
both the old and new $EMACS handling of bash.

Part of the worry here is that programs other than Bash will be affected, and that we need to give people some time to adjust to the changed behavior of Emacs, by announcing the planned change in Emacs 25 and then actually making the change in a later Emacs release.