Re: How do I set up font fallback in a robust way?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: How do I set up font fallback in a robust way?
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2016 05:44:58 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden
> From: Clément Pit--Claudel <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2016 16:01:27 -0400
>
> On 04/09/2016 03:46 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > The default fontset already defines specific blocks to be handled by
> > these fonts, see fontset.el.  What problems, specifically, do you have
> > with the default setup and the current emacs-25 branch?
>
> I get relatively inconsistent results in terms of which font is chosen to
> display a given symbol.

I don't think I understand well enough what that means.  This issue
must be dealt with by presenting specific examples.

> The pair of fonts that I mentioned (Ubuntu Mono and Symbola) was just an
> example; my question is about configuring fallbacks for any given pair of
> fonts: it could be Source Code Pro and Asana Math instead of Ubuntu Mono and
> Symbola, for example.

I answered the general question already.  You can find examples of
that in fontset.el.

> >> What's the proper way to configure font fallback?
> >
> > In general: find the characters you want to change and augment the
> > default fontset to use the font you want for them.
>
> Is it enough to augment the default fontset? Changing the :height of the
> 'default font creates a new fontset, which doesn't respect the fallbacks that
> I configure.

Again, please provide specific examples, because I don't think I
understand how changing height could get in the way.

> >> *Note*: for testing purposes, here are a few math characters:
> >
> > Which, if any, of those give you trouble with the default fontset?
>
> 𝓟 is displayed using `Latin Modern Math' in emacs -Q, it seems.

Is that not okay for some reason?  If so, why?