Re: Build failure for Emacs master

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Build failure for Emacs master
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2016 18:30:33 +0300

> From: Angelo Graziosi <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2016 10:03:19 +0200
> Cc: Emacs development discussions <address@hidden>
>
> Il 14/04/2016 03:31, Paul Eggert ha scritto:
> > On 04/13/2016 03:00 PM, Angelo Graziosi wrote:
> >>
> >> './autogen.sh all' does not work using
> >> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/snapshot/emacs-master.tar.gz as
> >> source:
> >
> > That's a different approach from what's in INSTALL.REPO. INSTALL.REPO
>
> In MSYS2 and other OS there are *-git packages just to have the last
> development source not because that people aims to develop and maintain
> the applications of those packages..

I'd urge all those who are tracking development sources to please use
the official established build procedure.  Using 3rd-party packages
whose procedures deviate from the project instructions is susceptible
to bumping into problems that stem from using those deviant
procedures, which is an added maintenance burden I think we'd like to
avoid.  Also, doing so means less testing for the official build
procedures.

If you can convince the MSYS2 maintainers to adopt the official build
procedure, it would be even better.  Failing that, please consider
switching back to what the project recommends, what is documented in
the relevant INSTALL documents.

TIA