Re: Build failure for Emacs master

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Build failure for Emacs master
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2016 09:06:03 -0700

On 04/14/2016 12:32 AM, Phillip Lord wrote:
I also have both Andy and Angelo's build
failures working (er, failing) reproducibly now. It also appears that my
autoload patch on master is causing a build failure (only on windows).

If no one solves it first, I will bisect this as soon as possible, but in
practice this is likely to be next week.

If you're right then there must be at least two bugs, right? Your autoload patch is only on master, but people are also reporting problems in the emacs-25 branch.

I am suspicious of copy-file. Why does it copy files possibly in text mode on MS-Windows, while truncating based on byte counts? That sounds like a recipe for trouble, as the miscount could cause file "truncation" to instead append a bunch of null bytes, which sounds like the symptoms you're observing.

Does the attached patch work around one of the bugs for you? This patch shouldn't affect behavior on GNUish or POSIXish hosts.