Re: Nextstep build uses iso-latin by default. WHY?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Nextstep build uses iso-latin by default. WHY?
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2016 19:26:16 -0400

>> So Emacs switched to that "NS" port.  More or less around that same
>> time, Yamamoto Mitsuharu started to work on the "old" code and adapt
>> it to the newer version of the old API.  And here we are.
> Could you expand what it means by "the newer version of the old API"
> more concretely?

IIUC your port derives from the carbon port.  I don't have a good grasp
of the various APIs involved, but my understanding is that the carbon
port was using an API which was being deprecated and you replaced some
parts of it (or maybe all of it, for all I know) to use a newer API
which was the "moral successor" of the old API.  That's what I meant by
"newer version of the old API".

> Compling the NS port with the recent SDK gives warnings about the use
> of deprecated API, but the Mac port does not.

I didn't mean to imply that the ns port uses a more
recent/uptodate/modern API than your port.  Just that your port uses
a more recent API than the carbon port.

Regarding those warnings: does that mean that the whole "NS" API used
by the NS port is being deprecated, or just that a few of its functions
are being deprecated, but the Emacs code hasn't yet been updated
correspondingly (for lack of manpower, or to maintain compatibility with
older macosx versions, or with GNUstep)?

        Stefan